The Best Student Life. Bristol SU

What's gone wrong

Image of students sitting in richmond building foyer

What if I'm ill during the teaching period? What if I think I'll miss a coursework deadline? What if I have problems on exam day?

+ What if I’m ill during the teaching period?

Click here for advice on what to do if you're ill during the teaching period.

If you are absent during the teaching period because of illness or some other reason, let your School know as soon as possible, and:

  • If the absence is seven consecutive days or less in the teaching period, complete and submit a Student Absence form so that your absence can be recorded. No medical evidence is required for the absence.
  • If the absence is for more than seven consecutive days in the teaching period, you should complete and submit an extenuating circumstances form as the prolonged absence could have affected your learning. Usually, medical evidence will be needed if you were absent due to ill-health.

+ What if I think I'll miss a coursework deadline?

Click here for advice on what to do if you think you might miss a deadline.

If you’re ill or for some reason feel you won’t be able to submit a piece of coursework by the deadline:

  • If you are ill during the teaching period, such that you cannot complete coursework as scheduled, contact your School Office and request an extension. This must be requested before the deadline. If the coursework forms a significant part of the assessment for a unit, then you may be required to submit an extenuating circumstances form.

+ What if I have problems on exam day?

Click here for advice on what to do if you have a problem that means you might not be able to attend an exam on the day.

If you are ill on the day of an exam, or cannot attend an exam for any other reason:

It is not a good idea to sit an exam if you know that your performance is likely to be significantly affected by an extenuating circumstance. Responsibility for the decision as to whether you are sufficiently well to undertake an exam is yours. This can be a difficult decision, because you have to balance the likelihood of underperforming and potentially carrying forward a lower mark, with the possibility that you need to complete the assessment at a later date.

Also consider that for absence from August/September exams, the next exam period will likely be in the next academic year. This can mean that you have to take a supplementary year, and it is unlikely that you will be able to progress with the rest of your cohort. If you're unsure advice is available from Just Ask.

Should you decide not to attend an exam, you must inform your School as soon as possible and prior to the start of the exam.You must then complete either an extenuating circumstances or self-certification form (see filling in the form) and submit it to your School Office.

If you are ill during an exam:

If you are ill during the exam and cannot complete the paper, you must inform the exam invigilator at the time. You should then fill in an extenuating circumstances form to explain what happened and submit it to your School Office as soon as possible. You do not need to make a doctor's appointment unless you actually need medical care.