Student Funding: the Basics

Image of Wills Memorial Building

Student Funding: the basics

Since 2012 the University of Bristol has been charging tuition fees of £9,000 per annum (which may increase subject to inflation) for Home UK and EU students. See the University's Fees and Funding pages for information about government and University support that might be available.

Information for international students:

Support from the UK Government and the University is extremely limited. The University advise that International Students “should ensure they have their funding in place before arriving at the University”. Support may be available from the British Council in your home country or for the department in which you wish to study – check for details.

There are *some* other sources of funding, but not many – please see the Student Funding Office website

For International Postgraduate Students the picture is slightly improved, but still fairly limited. For further details click here

The International Office have a rather handy facility to search for scholarships based on your personal details.

To help you keep track of your finances and to help you budget, Brightside have an International Student Calculatorwhich is free to use.

Information for part-time students:

Part-time Home Undergraduate students are not eligible for Government Maintenance Loans or Grants. Tuition fee loans are available, depending on the intensity of study you may receive up to £6,750 per year. Please see Direct Gov for more details

Part-time students from lower income families may be entitled to a Fee Waiver if their household income is £25,000 or lower.

Information for postgraduate students:

Contrary to what some students who have taken an Undergraduate degree believe, there is no statutory government support available for Home students wishing to undertake a Postgraduate qualification. In short there is very little funding for either Home, EU or International students, with the University expecting students to have funding secured before commencing study.

Those studying a Taught Masters course normally fund themselves through savings, sponsorship from an employer, or though a Professional/Career Development Loan. Postgraduate Research students are advised to apply to the relevant research council, or to check with their department of study for any financial assistance they can offer.

The Student Funding website has help on Funding Postgraduate Study.

The Careers website has extensive details on potential sources of funding.