The Best Student Life. Bristol SU

Changing Course

If there are specific problems with how your course has been taught so far, it's worth talking with your tutor or another member of staff who might be able to suggest ways those things could be improved. You could also raise issues via your course rep.

If you feel that your wellbeing is being affected by your course, you could also discuss the situation with a Wellbeing Adviser.

If you think that changing course would be the best option, the first person you should talk to is your personal tutor. If you haven't decided what course you might want to change to, talk to the Careers Service.

It is generally easier to change before the start of the academic year, within the first few weeks of each teaching block, or at the end of the academic year. Requests for transfers outside of those times are usually refused unless there are exceptional circumstances. Here are the University’s rules about switching between undergraduate courses. There is no automatic right to transfer between programmes.

Once you are sure that you want to transfer, you need to speak to the admissions tutor for the course you wish to transfer to. The faculty office will be able to tell you who this is. You will need to check:

  1. Whether there’s any space on the course you want to move to.
  2. Whether you meet the entrance requirements.
  3. Whether you’re required to finish your current year of study before transferring. Sometimes an offer of a place is dependent on getting above a certain average for your current year’s study.

You are likely to have to start your new course at the beginning of the first year as most courses have mandatory first year units. However, for some very similar courses it is sometimes possible to transfer directly into subsequent years.

If you get agreement from both the course you are leaving and the course you wish to join, it is then just a matter of filling in a transfer form. The academic staff will either be able to provide you with the correct form directly, or they'll refer you to the school office for the form.

There are also a few other things to consider:

Finance: Assuming you're covering your fees through Student Finance England, you should still have 3 years' funding to cover the new course. The Student Funding team can give more detailed advice on this.

Accommodation: If you want information about getting out of your tenancy early, or other accommodation queries, contact the Accommodation Office.

Visa status: If you need to clarify any issues around visas or immigration, speak to Student Visa Services.