The Best Student Life. Bristol SU


Image of students sitting in richmond building foyer

How to submit extenuating circumstances

Complete either the University’s extenuating circumstances or the self-certification for absence form. Both are available from the University’s Student Forms page.

Give as much information as possible, but be clear and concise. You need to explain and give evidence about when and how the circumstances impacted on your academic performance.

Alerting your School

It is a good idea to keep your School regularly informed of any personal matters affecting your academic performance. You are in charge of your personal information and what you do with it, so boards of examiners will only take into account what you choose to disclose. What this means is that you must not assume that, even though you might have discussed problems with a member of staff (such as your tutor), this will be automatically considered by the board of examiners.

Just speaking to your personal tutor is not sufficient, you must submit a form!

Complete and submit an extenuating circumstances form, with evidence, where:

  • You are absent from an exam due to illness and wish to present evidence.
  • You are absent from an exam due to a cause other than illness.
  • You are absent from teaching for more than seven consecutive days.
  • You are unable to submit a piece of coursework by the deadline.
  • You are ill during an examination
  • You complete an assessment but wish to bring to the University’s attention an extenuating circumstance that affected your ability to perform in the assessment

Complete and submit a student self-certification for absence form if:

  • You are absent from an exam due to illness and self-certifying the absence (i.e. not providing evidence)
  • You are absent from teaching for seven consecutive days or less.