The Best Student Life. Bristol SU


Image of Wills Memorial Building

If you are the victim of crime

Been attacked?

Who to contact right now.


Been accused of a crime?

What to do now.

Report it to the police as soon as possible. If you are burgled, your insurance company will require a crime reference number (which you will get when you report the break-in to the police) before they can process your claim. If a crime is still being committed, or you need an urgent response, dial 999. Non-urgent matters should be reported to the police online, or by calling 101.

The police have certain duties towards victims of crime, including the way in which they keep victims updated on their progress. The Government's guidelines give more information on those duties.

If you have been affected by crime, or would like help coping with the consequences of crime, there is support available. The Just Ask advisers can offer practical advice and support such as helping you with police correspondence or with speaking to your landlord about security. The University’s counselling service provide a free, confidential service and can offer counselling support in a variety of formats. Victim Support can also assist victims of crime, and also their friends and family. You don’t need to have reported a crime to the police to contact Victim Support.

If you have been bullied, assaulted, harassed or verbally abused because you are different, then read our page about hate crime.

More specific advice for students who have experienced personal attacks or abuse can be found in the personal safety section of our website.

If you want help with a specific problem: contact a Just Ask adviser. Generally, everything you tell us will be confidential: we do not disclose the fact that you have broken or intend to break the law unless we believe that you or someone else is at risk by you doing so, or we are required to do so by law (eg, for terrorism offences).

Other information:

  • the University of Bristol Police Team have a Facebook page with advice and information for Bristol students.
  • NUS have an interactive webkit called The Lock, which is full of tips and advice on staying safe.
  • You can get free legal advice from the University's Law Clinic.