Get in touch!
Chris: Postgraduate Education Officer
Hi, I’m Chris, and I’m your Postgraduate Education Officer this year! My role is all about the representation of both taught and research postgraduate students at the university, particularly regarding issues around academic affairs and the student experience.
I first joined Bristol in 2012 as an undergraduate to study Physics. After graduating in 2016, I stayed on to do a PhD in Membrane Biophysics. As a PhD student, I have been involved with the SU as a course and faculty representative, and my work in those roles motivated me to stand to become a full time representative.
This year, I’ll be working to ensure that Postgraduates are included and represented in all the activities that the SU does, and making sure that we all have the best educational experience possible while studying at Bristol. If you have any ideas for something for me to work on, please get in contact with me through email here.
See everything your SU has been up to here.
My big plan:
- Less financial pressure on postgrads
- A stronger postgrad community
- Postgrad-friendly SU activities
- A campus that works for postgrads
- Postgrad course support and development opportunities
- Developing the Postgraduate Student Experience
Here's what I've done so far:
- A full time International Students' Officer will be elected in the March 2019 elections.
Jan 18 - Current quarterly system has been changed to monthly stipend payment system. Funding office has also agreed to accommodate quarterly stipend payment requests.
PVC Research is following up with HR to gauge feasability
- September 18 - The University and First Bus will be launching a new service, the U2 bus route, between Langford and Tyndalls Park from 24th September 2018 - veterinary students will receive a free bus pass for the service!
- July 18 - Shubham met Paul Smith, Deputy Director of Estates and Head of Facilities Management and reminded him about the student council motion and strong need to have better transport for langford students. Paul said that they are in contract negotiation phase and new bus service will be very likely to come in place for the coming academic year.
- Jan 18 – Contract renewed with no change. Issue was also raised at FSSLC.
- April 17 – Will be representing student views on the contract panel, which is coming up soon.
- 22/3/16 - Laura met with Amy Heritage (Transport) and people from the school of vet science - they acknowledge the need but don't have the resource. The University is coming up to the process where they re-tender for transport contracts and are finding out how much it would cost to include a service to Langford that works for Postgrads to see if the central University is willing to fund it. The action from the meeting was for the students to put together a document detailing their ideal service and a service they would be willing to settle for
- 11/05/15 Have been involved in the UCU campaign and expressed concern with senior management
- 11/05/15 Yet to make statement on website
- 22/03/16 The case went to tribunal and the verdict was in the University's favour, saying that Alison was not unfairly dismissed.
- 11/05/15 Issues were raised at relevant committees and some wording was changed in Regulations and Codes of Practice