This event has expired or is no longer available.
How Does Ice Form? (It's Cooler Than You Think) | Best of Bristol
Presented by Professor Walther Schwarzacher
- We use simple and inexpensive methods, especially electrochemical deposition (electrodeposition), to prepare ultrathin films and nanostructures with unique physical properties.
- We are especially interested in magnetic systems, for example studying interactions between magnetic nanoparticles, and electron transport in devices combining magnetic and organic materials.
- We also study the surface physics aspects of electrodeposition, for example to study the origin and evolution of surface roughness, and are developing new in-situ optical techniques for this work.
Ice can be beautiful, useful, or dangerous. It is also surprisingly complicated. In particular, getting ice from water isn't just a matter of cooling it below zero degrees Celsius. For example, cirrus clouds contain liquid water at temperatures down to -40 degrees. Why?
This lecture will take you to an answer, pausing on the way to consider subjects ranging from fish to desert dust.
This lecture is part of the Best of Bristol series - a free lecture series showcasing the most inspiring lecturers at University of Bristol, as voted for by Bristol students. There are eight lectures taking place across the series from 14 - 30 March. Find all the lectures at www.bristolsu.org.uk/bestofbristol
Venue: Orchard Heights, City Centre
Start Date Monday 20-03-2017 - 19:00
End Date Monday 20-03-2017 - 20:00
Terms and Conditions
Click here to view terms and conditions
- Bristol SU operates ticket purchasing for multiple events at venues across the city. These terms and conditions only apply where they are not superseded by an event promoter or a particular venue’s terms and conditions.
- Admission to all events is subject to the restrictions employed by the host venue.
- Students must bring their University of Bristol UCard to every event they wish to attend for identification purposes. For members of the public, photo ID will be required (e.g. passport, driving licence, proof of age card)
- Re-admission is not allowed once you have attended an event unless approved by the manager on duty.
- Right of admission is reserved by the venue management. Please note that you are still subject to Bristol SU’s event admission procedures and can be refused entry if you breach these.
- Your UCard is not transferrable – i.e. you cannot lend it to anyone else to get into the venue.
- Every effort will be made to allow priority queuing at all events – however, this cannot be guaranteed.
- All events are restricted to AGE 18+ unless specifically noted on the event page. All guests are required to provide proof of age if asked by the door staff, and you can be refused entry if you are unable to do this. Please note that any Bristol student who forgets their UCard will not be able to enter just by quoting their student number unless they can also produce proof of age.
Refunds - *** Please note that this is standard practice at every entertainments venue in the UK. *** ALL TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE. All sales are final. Refunds are not available on tickets once they have been purchased, including those purchased in error or non-attendance due to illness or injury. However, the following are certain instances in which a refund may be given. THERE ARE NO OTHER INSTANCES IN WHICH A REFUND MAY BE OFFERED.
- The entire event has been cancelled by the promoter or Bristol SU. In this instance, refunds are available to everyone who has purchased a ticket in advance.
- The main performing artiste has cancelled or the event altered for reasons beyond our control, but the event has still taken place. Again, refunds will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and where authorised.
- The event has sold out, and there are people waiting for extra tickets. In this instance refunds may be given, and the tickets then resold to people on the waiting list once the re-sale cash has been received.
- In all instances the duty manager’s decision will be final.
Transfer Policy - All tickets purchased for Bristol SU events are non-transferrable – they are assigned exclusively to your account and cannot be moved to that of another person. Physical Ticket Replacements - For events with physical tickets, it is the responsibility of the individual purchaser to keep their ticket safe once it has been collected from the information point or welcome desk. Please note that replacement tickets will not be issued in the event of their loss or damage, and will need to be repurchased in this instance. It is advised that you write your name and Uni number on the back of your ticket so that it can be returned if handed in!