University of Bristol A Cappella Society gives absolutely anyone who wants to sing the chance to get involved in any of our groups, which include both auditioned groups and groups for all abilities. We were even one of 3 societies out of 330 to be nominated for best society 2016. Our groups put on several concerts a year, showcasing Bristol as one of the hottest spots for UK a cappella!
Take a look at our facebook and twitter pages to find more information and updates on the society's goings on.
Click 'Groups' on the tab above to find out more about our groups.
University of Bristol A Cappella Society is one of the most active societies in Bristol SU. Recent socials include:
• Freshers Bar Crawl
• Christmas Dinner
• Scavenger Hunt
• Various Musical Trips
• White T Shirt Bar Crawl
• Movie Nights
• Ensembles Showcases
The highlight of the society's social calendar is the annual a cappella ball. Awards for both individuals and groups are given out on this night, which is hosted in a fantastic venue and accompanied by a delicious meal, drinks, a photobooth, a live band, lots of dancing and an after party.
On top of society socials, each ensemble usually organises their own socials for themselves too.
The largest group in the society was also our first, singing a wide range of pop, rock, show tunes and barbershop. It is formed of 3 distinct choruses: Upper Voices, Lower Voices and Mixed Voices. The University of Bristol Barbershop /A Cappella Singers (TUBBS A Cappella) performs regularly in a variety of forms: upper and lower voice close-harmony choruses, and 8-part mixed SATB a cappella. This is a fast-paced ensemble providing enjoyable and interesting singing to members from a wide variety of genres.
• TUBBS A Cappella contains three extremely sociable unauditioned choruses (upper voices, lower voices and mixed) formed to perform barbershop, close-harmony and modern a cappella music.
• All 3 groups rehearse on the same day, with upper voices and lower voices rehearsing simultaneously first, then a short break followed by the mixed chorus rehearsal. It is not necessary to sing in 2 groups, however most members do!
• We welcome everybody, even people who can only come to rehearsal occasionally. TUBBS A Cappella is run as a low committment chorus - don't worry if you can't come every single week!
• We sing a massive range of music, from the latest pop hits to rock classics to barbershop polecats, there is certainly something for everyone.
• We are going into our 10th year of existence in 2016/17, and its looking to be a big one! There will be extra special concerts this year.
• TUBBS A Cappella has a hugely varied social calendar. The choruses have so many members that there are so many people to get to know and so many friends to make! There are TUBBS socials alongside the society socials, so always plenty of opportunities to socialise.
• You don’t need to be able to read music to join TUBBS A Cappella! Absolutely anyone can join, from solely shower singers to first study singers and everyone inbetween. Sing-along teach tracks are provided to help you learn the pieces if you can’t read music, but sheet music is also provided.
Rehearsals: Tuesdays 5pm-7:30pm (upper/lower voice choruses rehearse first and then a break followed by the mixed chorus)
Academy is the society’s auditioned all-male group and one of the newest additions to the busy UK male a cappella scene.
• Academy are already known within the society for putting together thoroughly entertaining and engaging performances.
• We made our début to an amazingly receptive audience at the society’s 3 Evenings of A Cappella shows from the 25th-27th November.
• We’ve also performed at the Bristol SU Awards in June 2016 where the society was nominated for the best society award.
• We are also open to perform at external private gigs, and always take part in society concerts.
• As with every other auditioned group, you do not have to be able to read music to join! We’re looking for great male singers and beatboxers so keep up to date with us to find more about when auditions are!
Visit our facebook page or email email@example.com to find out more!
HotTUBBS is an auditioned mixed chorus made up of members of TUBBS A Cappella who want a more challenging and rewarding experience singing a cappella. We sing a huge variety of slightly more challenging music, ranging from close-harmony and barbershop to collegiate a cappella.
• If you’re looking to sing a huge range of music to an incredible standard, this is the group for you!
• We perform slightly more challenging close harmony arrangements, including jazz classics to traditional barbershop. Achieving a perfect vocal blend is a main aim of ours.
• We often go out and perform extra gigs such as balls, parties, and charity gigs, as well as busking in the city centre.
• In previous years we’ve been national finalists at VoiceFest (2012), runners up at the Manchester Amateur Choral Competition (2012) and winners in two categories the Mid Somerset Festival (2013). We were most recently semi-finalists at the Voice Festival 2015, showcasing a different style of a cappella to resounding success.
• You still don’t need to be able to read music to join HotTUBBS! Auditions are run in groups so you won’t have to sing alone, and sing-along tracks are provided to help you learn the pieces.
Rehearsals: Sundays 7pm-9pm
Visit our facebook to find updates, or simply come along to one of TUBBS A Cappella's rehearsals on Tuesdays, where any committee member will be happy to provide you with more information!
Pitch Fight (auditioned)
Pitch Fight is Bristol’s only auditioned all-female a cappella group, dedicated to performing a varied style of arrangements to a high standard, all with tight harmonies and sassy choreography. We’ve been together since September 2015.
• While being grounded in collegiate a cappella, we like to perform a variety of genres and artists, from Ed Sheeran and Rihanna to Jess Glynne and Pink Floyd – just to name a few.
• During our first year of existence, we were national semi finalists at the Voice Festival UK in London. We certainly plan to participate at many more festivals and competitions in the near future!
• We also like to perform extra gigs, depending on what opportunities arise, while always taking part in the regular society concerts.
• We even filmed our own music video last May! Have a look at the link below.
• Though we are an ambitious, hard working group we also know how to have fun. If you simply love music and singing, we’d love to have you. You don’t even need to read sheet music!
Visit our facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
The Bristol Suspensions (auditioned)
The Bristol Suspensions are a 17-piece mixed group who specialise in modern a cappella. A hit with audiences across the country, they are known for their unique arrangements, impressive vocals, and hilarious choreography.
• We sing a variety of music, including up-tempo medleys, ballads, comedy songs, and Christmas songs, all in the modern a cappella style (with beatboxing and soloists). Check out our YouTube channel to get a flavour of our style.
• We were crowned the Voice Festival University Champions 2016, as well as winning awards for outstanding choreography, beatboxing, and arrangements.
• We perform regularly at all kinds of events, including society balls, formals and staff events, and we often can be found busking on the streets of Bristol.
• We travel to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival every August, and have enjoyed singing on shows all over the country, as well as featuring on TV and radio! Our 2016 Fringe Run was a sell out, and we are already planning US tour for this year.
• We are looking for strong singers of all parts (and beatboxers and techies!) to join us for another exciting year. You don’t have to be able to read music, but you will be expected to dance…
• Please note that being a member of The Bristol Suspensions is a big commitment – there are rehearsals, weekend trips, video shoots, studio recordings, and members are expected to learn music outside of rehearsals. That being said, it is the most fun and rewarding experience to have, and we are all really close friends!
As what's known as an 'umbrella society', we offer the opportunity for anyone to set up any kind of a cappella group within the society. The society supports the creation of all groups and will provide loads of guidance and help out with all the administration too.
• Our ensembles and quartets co-ordinators will help you to form groups if you fancy getting involved.
• We put on termly ensembles' showcases. Loads of people form little groups to perform anything that takes their fancy at these showcases, which are really casual no pressure events.
• Many of these are formed just for fun and only sing at our internal showcases, but some groups perform at gigs to earn money.
• Some of our members compete at a national level and in the past three years TUBBS quartets have won three awards from the national barbershop organisations (BABS and LABBS) for the best novice quartet. Most recently a TUBBS alumni quartet, Park Street, won the British championship and subsequently represented the UK at international convention.
• Groups can be set up in any size and style, from traditional barbershop quartets, small Pentatonix style groups, choral ensembles and full blown collegiate groups and choruses.
Simply email email@example.com or pop into any TUBBS A Cappella rehearsal on Tuesdays to talk to one of the team and find out more about setting up your own group.
The committee is responsible for the overall running of the society. You can contact the committee by email or post. To find the musical directors responsible for organising music and rehearsals for each of our groups, go to our musical directors page. The committee has regular meetings every week. The minutes for these meetings are publicly available here. Elected committee members also have access to our committee resources. You can read our Constitution here and our most recent AGM minutes here.