Hi! My name is Mason, I'm an Economics and Management student, NUS Delegate for Bristol University, BME Campaigns Coordinator at Bristol SU and Equality Officer for The 93% Club. I've also previously been an Economics Course Rep, and JCR President for four Halls of Residences.
I'm running to be your new Undergraduate Education Officer. The idea is simple: Every student deserves a supportive, progressive and inclusive education. If there's one person who will speak up and represent you, it's me.
Here is my manifesto of what I will achieve if you elect me to be your UG Education Officer:
- Reform the personal tutoring system so that all personal tutors are trained on mental health, especially since 2 in 3 Bristol students said they needed more support on managing stress and mental health issues.
- Ensure students lead the Â£1m investment into improving personal tutoring: we know our needs best.
- Modernise the Counselling Service so that their mental health care can support people from all backgrounds with all identities.
- Cut down on make it or break it units and embed the model I passed at the Annual Members Meeting that makes wellbeing central to assessment design.
- Lobby departments to ensure assignment deadlines and exams are spaced out and all mark schemes and past papers are available in advance.
- Lobby the University to move TB1 exams to the last two weeks of January.
- Streamline timetabling so that we get timetables earlier, have true flexibility in choosing units and know exactly when our exams are.
- Work with departments to improve Careers support through CV & cover letter workshops, mentoring meet-ups, paid work experience opportunities and regular Careers Fairs.
Campaigns and Causes:
- Achieve a guarantee from Bristol University that they will continue to participate in the Erasmus+ scheme.
- Lead the campaign against rising tuition fees and continue the NSS Boycott.
- Work with the BME Officers to decolonise the curriculum through Why Is My Curriculum White, and challenge the Islamophobic PREVENT agenda.
- Lobby for the University to match the Â£200 lost by each disabled student after cuts to Disabled Students Allowance and ensure all lectures are recorded, especially for those with accessibility needs.
So, for a supportive, progressive and inclusive education, vote Mason #1 to be your next Undergraduate Education Officer!