Overseeing the organisation is a Board of Trustees, which is responsible for ensuring that UBU complies with the law, with its own stated objects, and with the policies agreed by its democratic structures. The Trustees are also responsible for safeguarding the financial stability, good name, culture and ethos of the Union, and actively contributes to developing the strategic direction of the organisation.
The Board meets at least 4 times a year, with Sub-Committees meeting at regular intervals as appropriate. The Board of Trustees is 15 strong and comprises the following people:
Elected Officer Trustees (6)
- Des Ibekwe, Equality Liberation and Access Officer
- Lucky Dube, Student Living Officer
- Mason Ammar, Undergraduate Education Officer
- Shubham Singh, Postgraduate Education Officer
- Stanford, Union Affairs Officer
- John House, Sport and Student Development Officer
Elected Student Trustees (4)
- Natalie Bird (2015 - 2017)
- Sophie Pender (2015 - 2017)
- Noha Abu El Magd (2016 - 2018)
- Lea Hampton O-Neil (2016 - 2018)
Co-opted Trustees (4)
- Jonathan Phillips, Chair
- Nick Shanahan
- Ian Robinson
- Noelle Rumball
University Nominated Trustee (1)
The Board is also advised by a number of Union and University personnel:
- Samantha Budd, Chief Executive, Bristol SU
- Ben Pilling, Chief Operating Officer, Bristol SU
- Johanna Rule, Financial Contact (Business Unit Financial Controller at University of Bristol)
- Keith Feeney, Legal Contact (University Lawyer at University of Bristol)
- Suzanne Doyle, Executive Manager, Bristol SU (Clerk to the Trustees)
Other Committees of the Board
Members of the Trustee Board additionally meet in the following committees:
- Finance and Operational Committee - meets before each full Board meeting to review and report on the monthly and annual accounts in detail and reviewing and agreeing the Unions budget.
- Governance Committee - meets as required. Reviews, monitors and supervises all legal, constitutional and governance matters affecting the Union.
- Board Development Committee - meets as required. Responsible for the appointment of Lay Trustees, Advisers to the Board, Senior Management, Associate, Temporary Associate, Life and Honorary Members of the Union.
- Remuneration Committee - meets as required to recommend the remuneration of the Sabbatical Officers (and Chief Executive) to the Board.
- Appeals Panel - meets as required to review the reasonableness of a decision of the Trustees under Article 33 to remove a Trustee from office.
Detailed minutes are kept of sub-committees and sent to all trustrees.
Dates of Trustee Board Meetings 2016 - 2017