Meeting type: Annual Members Meeting
When: 6:15pm Tuesday 26 February 2019 - doors open from 5:30pm for sign in and pizza - bring your UCard!
Where: Anson Rooms, Bristol SU
Who: All students can attend, debate and vote on motions at this meeting
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/362044767712865/
Questions: email email@example.com
Motions for the meeting - in the order confirmed by priority ballot:
1) Declare a Climate Emergency
2) Change the University default search engine to Ecosia
3) Inclusion of Gender Identity in SU Byelaws
4) Can you at least pretend to care about us?
5) Divesting from Israel's Illegal Occupation of the West Bank
6) Protecting Free Speech
7) Ban groups or 'slates' running in the elections
8) I AMM in Favour of Change
9) Motion of No Confidence in NUS President Shakira Martin
10) Two Dedicated Roles in the International Students' Network Committee (EU and Overseas)
11) Make Network Committee Elections Closer to March Elections
12) Create a Parents, Carers and Mature Students' Network
13) Support for Student Workers Through the Couriers Network
NUS National Conference Motion deadline is midday on February 5th - click here to read all about submitting a motion to the NUS National Conference.
Click here to see minutes from the last Student Council - 20/11/18
Policy created at the meeting 20/11/18:
Policy ratified at the meeting 20/11/18:
From Student Council October 2017:
From Annual Members Meeting February 2018:
1. Bristol SU to Support University Strike Action
2. Be Mankind Active
3. Support Refugee and Asylum Seeker Access to Higher Education
4. Denounce Brexit
5. Increasing inter-faculty open units
6. Protecting students in nightclubs and bars
From Student Council June 2018:
To see the active policy that was passed in the last three years and the stages that policy is at please visit the Officers pages. Each Officer covers a remit so if you are looking for a certain policy it will fall under one of the six officers. Please contact us if you can not find it. You can also view minutes from the last three years at the bottom of this page.
Student Council is the primary representative forum of the Students' Union. It creates policy which directs the focus of the elected officers. Members discuss and vote on items (motions) submitted by students. Any items (motions) that pass become active SU policy for three years. The next Student Council will be on 11 June 2019.
All students may attend student council meetings and bring forward ideas but only eligible members can vote, these include:
Sports Club Captains
Course and Faculty Reps
Chairs of Networks
The Annual Members’ Meeting (AMM) is the Students’ Union’s largest democratic event. Any student can attend and vote! AMM takes place once a year and like Student Council, this meeting is an opportunity to pass policy and hold the Full-time Officers to account. Any items (motions) that pass become active SU policy for three years. This years AMM will be on 26 February 2019.
There are three ways of submitting an item or issue for discussion at Student Council or AMM:
1. Complete an Idea Form
2. Complete the Motion Template and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Email the Chair at email@example.com asking for support
Motion submission deadline for the next meeting which is the Annual Members Meeting is midday 5th February 2019.
The Motion Template has loads of guidance to help you get started, but you can also use our additional guidance or contact us if you would like more support. You might also want to consider the following questions:
1. Does it advance the education of students at the University of Bristol?
2. Does it further the interests of students as students?
3. Does it reflect the fair allocation of resources between societies?
4. Is it for the public benefit (i.e. would the action benefit enough students)?
5. What would the legal, financial or reputational risks be to Bristol SU if the idea (motion) is approved?
Please get in touch with any questions: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DSC ensures that Bristol SU's structures and democracy are accessible, fair and productive for all students. The committee also sets the agenda for each Student Council and AMM.
The DSC may decide that a motion is unnecessary, or an item is better discussed by a different group. For example, at a Network forum, or via an all-student referendum.
The DSC includes the Chair of Student Council; Zoe Backhouse, Union Affairs Officer; Stan Ford and five students elected by Student Council.
The Standing Committee scrutinises the actions of the Full-time officers. It also develops proposals and motions as directed by Student Council. This committee reports to Student Council about other democratic events and conferences.
The Standing Committee includes the full time officers, chairs of networks, faculty reps and student trustees.
Minutes for previous Student Councils:
2015/16 - Policy Active
June Student Council 2016
March Student Council 2016
January Student Council 2016
December Student Council 2015
October Student Council 2015
2014/15 - Policy Lapsed
June Student Council 2015
March Student Council 2015
January Student Council 2015
December Student Council 2014
October Student Council 2014
Minutes for previous AMMs