What is a JCR?
A Junior Common Room (JCR) is a student committee elected in undergraduate halls of residence every year. They represent the voice and interests of students who live in the halls. They also help coordinate social activities and events. Most committees meet around once or twice a fortnight.
The University allocates £45 per student in halls to the committee, which they use to fund activities and socials. This means you can have your say about what you would like to happen in your halls.
The bigger picture
The JCR is part of a wider group of student representatives. Together they influence the direction and aims of Bristol SU. To help them be as effective as possible, the JCRs are supported by the Full-time Officer team.
The Student Living Officer works full-time to improve key areas of student life. These include housing and accommodation, student wellbeing, mental health, and sustainability. The Student Living Officer can help JCRs by raising issues at the University level and by making sure students' voices are heard.
Who is in the JCR?
As per the JCR Constitution, the mandatory roles are:
- Vice President
- International Rep
The following non-mandatory positions available to all committees are:
- Equality Rep
- Sustainability Rep
- Fundraising Rep
- Sports Rep
- Communications Rep
- Events Rep
Committees can add further roles via a co-option process after the November election.
President Role Description
- Coordinate and have ultimate responsibility for all matters concerning the JCR in accordance with the constitution.
- Represent your JCR at the following meetings: Village Operational Meetings, Student Council, and other stakeholder meetings.
- To be one of two signatories on the JCR Bank Account
- To act as Chair for regular JCR committee meetings, as per the JCR Constitution.
- Act as the main point of contact for all matters related to the JCR.
Vice-President Role Description
- Assume the responsibility of Committee Chair in the absence of the President for JCR meetings.
- Operate as a proxy in absence of the President at Village Operational Meetings, Student Council, and other stakeholder meetings.
- Oversee all matters concerning the administrative and practical operation of the JCR.
- Ensure consistent output across all committee posts in terms of events, campaigns, and representation.
- Assist the JCR President in general governance and management of the JCR Committee, in line with the JCR Constitution.
Treasurer Role Description
- To be one of two signatories on the JCR Bank Account.
- Keep accurate accounts and oversee all financial transactions of the JCR.
- To work with other committee members in drawing up a detailed budget which must be approved by the President and Vice-President.
- Adhere to the financial obligations laid out in the JCR Constitution
- To prepare a financial report on a termly basis for the JCR, explaining the status of the JCR’s finances and publicising any non-regular changes in spending.
- Making JCR accounts transparent to constituents within residences.
- Ensure that all external financial and account handover deadlines are met on time.
Secretary Role Description
- Take and publicise the minutes of JCR meetings, according to the discretion of the President and Vic-President.
- Construct and circulate agendas for JCR Committee Meetings.
- To maintain the JCR SharePoint; ensuring files are properly stored and accessible to committee members.
- Ensure student feedback is documented and stored in line with GDPR policies.
International Rep Role Description
- Work towards increasing participation of international students in JCR social activities and Student Union events.
- Organise events aimed specifically at improving international student experience.
- Take the lead on documenting feedback on international student experience in halls.
- To collaborate with the International Students Network on community building initiatives within halls.
- To campaign and lobby for changes to policy to improve international student experience in halls.
Communications Rep Role Description
- Ensure a consistent output of social media communication from the JCR, promoting and making the JCR visible constituents.
- Taking the lead on establishing a JCR communication strategy.
- To work closely with the Residential Experience Coordinators to disseminate key information from the University and the SU to hall constituents.
Sports Rep Role Description
- Represent the interests of the JCR to Sports, Exercise and Health (SEH); work with SEH to source equipment, resources, and advice on putting together a JCR Sports and Health Programme.
- Promote the participation in sport at all levels within halls of residences, particularly the Intramural Programme.
- Plan and deliver health and exercises events for a range of participation and ability levels.
- Advocate and campaign for healthy living and lifestyle within Residences.
Equality Rep Role Description
- Plan and deliver a wide range of events that promote, celebrate and campaign for the values of equality and liberation within residences.
- To gather and report on student feedback around issues relating to equality and discrimination within residences.
- Ensure a proportion of the Social Fund is dedicated to events and campaigns for marginalised communities within residences.
- To work with SU Networks on matters relating to equality, access, and liberation within Residences.
Sustainability Rep Role Description
- Take a lead on developing a halls-based sustainability campaigns and events programme.
- Instigate ideas to improve sustainability policies within halls of residence.
- Coordinate campaigns and events output with Sustainability Reps in other halls.
- Ensure the President is briefed on residents' ideas and attitudes about sustainability prior to Bristol SU Student Council meetings.
- Work with other JCR Committees and the Students Union on any joint projects relevant to sustainability that have been agreed.
Events Rep Role Description
- To take the lead on event planning processes, including managing ticket sales on UnionCloud, submitting event and risk assessment forms to relevant stakeholders.
- Maintain an accurate calendar of all JCR events throughout the academic year.
- Coordinate event output with neighbouring JCRs for village level events where possible.
- Responsible for organising catering, venue hire, and any other external bookings.
Fundraising Rep Role Description
- Coordinate fundraising events in halls of residences, in line with the RAG, Volunteering & Sustainability Network agenda.
- To play an active role in promoting broader RAG events and initiatives within halls.
- Work closely with Fundraising Rep’s in other halls on collaborative initiatives
Additional Hall specific posts
Goldney: Hillside Woodside Rep
Student Houses: Redland Road Rep, Woodland Road Rep, St Michael’s Road Rep
Manor Hall: Richmond Terrace Rep, Queens Road Rep.
Unite & Culver: Culver Rep
These positions have been created to ensure the interests of constituents in housing outside of the hall of residents are represented within the JCR.
How can I be involved with my JCR?
Elections for JCRs happen each October. To take part, nominate yourself, write a statement of intentions, and encourage your peers to vote!
Nominations this year are open from October 19th - October 28th - You can 'Recommend a Friend' (or just recommend yourself so we send you a reminder email!) right here:
What will I get up to?
Producing a diverse social calendar
A diverse range of students move into halls and it is your role to consider these groups in the decisions you make. You have a responsibility to ensure every student is catered for and represented in the events you organise.
This includes: End-of-term events such as a formal, and Welcome Week (one of the biggest events you’ll organise!).
Democracy and representation
Attend JCR Training / Socials
How can the Students’ Union help me?
Your Student Living Officer, Ruth, is always on hand to help. You can email them (email@example.com).
JCR's are managed by the Residential Experience Coordinators in the Residential Life team - you can email them (firstname.lastname@example.org).