Overseeing Bristol SU is a Board of Trustees, which are responsible for ensuring that the organisation complies with the law, with its objects, and with the policies agreed by its democratic structures.
The Trustees are responsible for safeguarding the financial stability, good name, culture and ethos of the Union, and actively contribute to developing the strategic direction of the organisation.
The Board meets regularly throughout the year, with committees meeting at regular intervals before each Trustee Board. The Board of Trustees comprises 16 people:
Elected Officer Trustees (7)
The Student Trustees do a 2-year term, which is staggered, so there are always 2 Trustees in their second year on the board, however for 2020 - 2021 we will be having 4 New Student Trustees and 2 will be for 1 year and 2 will be for 2 years.
Nominated Trustee (1)
The Board is also advised by a number of Union and University personnel:
- Ben Pilling, Chief Executive, Bristol SU (Secretary to the Board)
- Tamryn Stevens, Head of Finance, Bristol SU
- Jason Smerdon, Financial Contact, Group Finance Director, University of Bristol
- Ben Snow, Financial Contact, Head of Finance Business Partnering, University of Bristol
- Keith Feeney, Legal Contact, Senior Lawyer, University of Bristol
- Suzanne Doyle, Executive and Governance Manager, Bristol SU (Clerk to the Board)
Other Committees of the Board
The Trustee Board meeting and committee terms of reference:
- Trustee Boards Meetings - include finance and risk. Review and report on the monthly and annual accounts in detail, monitor and review the risk register and review and agree the Unions budget. They monitor the operations of the Union and student democracy
- Governance Committee - Reviews, monitors and supervises all legal, constitutional and governance matters affecting the Union.
- Board Development Committee - Responsible for the appointment of Co-opted Trustees and Chief Executive, recommends Advisers to the Board and monitors the induction, training and Board development and effectiveness
- Remuneration Committee - meets as required to recommend the remuneration of the Full-Time Officers and Chief Executive to the Board.
- Appeals Panel - meets as required to review the reasonableness of a decision of the Trustees under Article 33 to remove a Trustee from office.