Overseeing Bristol SU is a Board of Trustees, which is responsible for ensuring that the organisation complies with the law, with its own stated objects, and with the policies agreed by its democratic structures.
The Trustees are also responsible for safeguarding the financial stability, good name, culture and ethos of the Union, and actively contribute to developing the strategic direction of the organisation.
The Board meets regularly throughout the year, with Sub-Committees meeting at regular intervals as appropriate. The Board of Trustees is 16 strong and comprises the following people:
Elected Officer Trustees (7)
Elected Student Trustees (4)
- Tom Parry (2020 - 2021)
- Filipe Costa Figueiredo (2020 - 2021)
- Joseph Clay (2020 - 2022)
- Kiran Sithamparapillai (2020 - 2022)
The Student Trustees normally do a 2 year position, which is staggered, so there are always 2 Trustees in their second year on the board, however for 2020 - 2021 we will be having 4 New Student Trustees and 2 will be for one year and 2 will be for 2 years
Co-opted Trustees (4)
- Noelle Rumball, Co-Chair of the Trustee Board (2016 - present)
- Raj Kakar-Clayton (2018 - present)
- Chris Willmore (2019 - present)
- 4th Co-opted Trustee is being recruited in the Autumn term
Nominated Trustee (1)
- Sarah Purdy (2019 - present)
The Board is also advised by a number of Union and University personnel:
- Ben Pilling, Interim Chief Executive, Bristol SU (Secretary to the Board)
- Tamryn Stevens, Head of Finance, Bristol SU
- Mick Axtell, Financial Contact, Chief Financial Services Officer, University of Bristol
- Ben Snow, Financial Contact, Head of Finance Business Partnering, University of Bristol
- Keith Feeney, Legal Contact, Senior Lawyer, University of Bristol
- Suzanne Doyle, Executive and Governance Manager, Bristol SU (Clerk to the Board)
Other Committees of the Board
Members of the Trustee Board additionally meet in the following:
- Trustee Boards which include finance and risk. Review and report on the monthly and annual accounts in detail, monitor and review the risk register and review and agree the Unions budget.
- Governance Committee - meets alongside the Trustee Board. Reviews, monitors and supervises all legal, constitutional and governance matters affecting the Union.
- Board Development Committee - meets alongside the Trustee Board. Responsible for the appointment of Co-opted Trustees and Chief Executive, recommends Advisers to the Board, and Associate Members of the Union.
- Remuneration Committee - meets as required to recommend the remuneration of the Full-Time Officers and Chief Executive to the Board.
- Appeals Panel - meets as required to review the reasonableness of a decision of the Trustees under Article 33 to remove a Trustee from office.
Detailed minutes are kept of all Trustee meetings including sub-committees and sent to all trustrees.
Trustee Meetings for 2020 - 2021 to be updated shortly