Bristol SU has over 350 affiliated student groups made up of sports clubs, societies and volunteering projects. There is always room for more so if you want to propose a group that is original, sustainable and for University of Bristol students, just follow the steps below:
Check out proposed groups below and express your support by clicking the link to the supporters form. Proposed groups need 30 supporters before they are considered for affiliation by the Affiliation Committee. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.
1) Have an idea that is unique and unlike any existing Bristol SU group. Research the currently affiliated groups and contact any similar groups.
2) Book a meeting with the Development Team to discuss your group. The team can help you develop your idea.
3) Complete the Affiliation Application Form below. The Development Team will check your application to ensure you have answered all the questions and that there is nothing you are proposing which would breach our Code of Conduct or Byelaws. If further information is required, we will be in touch before your application goes live.
4) Once your application is complete, your group will appear at the top of this page for your group to gather supporters. It is up to you to promote this page to draw interest from prospective members.
5) When you reach 30 or more supporters, your application will be considered by the Affiliation Committee. They meet 3 times a year in October, February and March.
6) When the Affiliation Committee meet, they will consider your application against the criteria below, using the evidence you have supplied in your application. The Affiliation Committee consists of the Union Affairs Officer, Sport and Student Development Officer, Societies Network Chair, Sports Network Chair, two Development Coordinators and the Student Opportunities Manager.
7) Successful groups will be notified and invited to attend New Groups Guidance Training which, along with some internal administration, will complete affiliation to Bristol SU.
8) Unsuccessful groups will be notified with feedback and given one week to appeal the decision made by the panel by providing additional evidence. Please note that there is no guarantee that the Affiliation Committee will overturn their original decision.
If you have any questions about the affiliation process, please contact the Development Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The panel considers the following areas when deciding whether to affiliate a new group:
Application Deadline: Thursday 15th October
Supporters Deadline: Thursday 22nd October
Decision expected by: Wednesday 28th October
Application Deadline: Thursday 11th February
Supporters Deadline: Thursday 18th February
Decision expected by: Wednesday 24th February
Application Deadline: Thursday 11th March
Supporters Deadline: Thursday 18th March
Decision expected by: Wednesday 24th March
Applications are currently closed for 2020/21 and will reopen over the summer.
It's important to remember that a group can function without being affiliated to Bristol SU. You may find it more beneficial to be a campaign or activity within a Network or another affiliated group or perhaps your activity can be catered for in a casual way in one of our social spaces such as the SU Living Room or on social media. Non-affiliated groups can still work with Networks and book rooms in the Richmond Building.
You can set up a new project at any time of the year. Follow these simple steps to start your volunteering project:
Bristol SU can help you lift your project off the ground with:
If you have any questions or would like to find out more, please drop us a line at email@example.com