Democracy Volunteers is the UK's leading election observation group. We observe elections to assess the quality of them and to report back to returning officers, the UK's Electoral Commission and to government. We do this by a combination of interview with key election officials as well as in-person observations of elections, such as attending polling stations and the counting process.
On May 6th, 2021 we will be deploying around 200 observers, accredited by the Electoral Commission, to observe the Mayoral elections across the country in London, the West Midlands, Greater Manchester, Liverpool, West of England, and the Tees Valley in addition to devolved parliamentary elections in Wales and Scotland.
The day will consist of travelling around your designated area (this will be within the city’s wider area) and visiting polling stations with a partner, in order to help us collect data on a wide variety of subjects. Don’t worry: This will all be explained in depth at a training and deployment event taking place in the week prior to polling day. Election observation is a great way to learn more about the democratic process in action, learn more about electoral standards in the UK and contribute to civil society!
Key things to consider before applying are:
• You must be available all day from 6:45am until 10:15pm on the May 6th 2021. The day is very long and tiring, but enjoyable and rewarding!
• You must be polite and respectful to all officials and the public throughout the day in line with our code of conduct.
• Have a positive mental attitude.
• Be able to follow the training provided and accurately record data.
• Be available for a training and deployment session in your area scheduled to take place in the week prior to the election (More details will be given nearer the deployment)
All observers must apolitical - not working or campainging for any politicalparty or candidate.
Expenses are covered for travel and subsistence on polling day and for counting. Full training is conducted online and we will be holding a series of online events to tell potential observers more about the process.
Application is by CV. Once processed we will be in touch with all applicants within 10 working days informing you whether we intend to proceed with your application. More information can be found about Democracy Volunteers at democracyvolunteers.org
(All observers will be equipped for elections based on the health limitations in place at the time and be registered by Democracy Volunteers with the UK's Electoral Commission).
This role will involve becoming a domestic election observer accreddited by the Electoral Commission and going into polling stations and counting venues to collect data on how the democratic process is being conducted on the ground.
The data you help collect will aid in formulating the organisation's final report and recommendations which helps elections staff and policy makers improve the democratic process.
Some key points to consdier are:
1) You must be available all day from 06:45 - 10:15 on 6th May 2021. The day is very long and tiring, but enjoyable and rewarding!
2) You must be polite and respectful to all officials and the public throughout the day in line with our code of conduct
3) You must have a positive attitude
4) You must be able to follow the training provided and accurately record data
5) You must be available for a training and deployment session in your area, scheduled to take place in the week prior to the election (more details will be given nearer the deployment)
6) You must be apolitical in order to observe with Democracy Volunteers. Therefore, you must not be working for or campaigning for any party or candidate to participate.
No previous experience is necessary. Full training is conducted online and we will be holding a series of online events to tell potential observers more about the process.
The role will give you first hand experience of data collection in a real world setting in addition to learning more about the role of observers in the democratic process.
Start time: 07:00 AM
End time: 10:00 PM
Available in: Morning Afternoon Evening
Application deadline: 28-02-2021