New Year's resolution to put some spare time to good use? Savvy with electronics? If you can spare a few hours to make sure donated electrical items work properly to help raise money to fight heart disease, this is the role for you.
As part of this role you will be:
- In a nutshell, you are testing the full range of operation of electrical items that are donated to our store by members of the public. For example, if a TV with a DVD player built in is donated, you would need to make sure the TV is working, the sound and picture is ok, and the DVD player works.
- Following the process for the initial checks on donated electrical items
- Keeping the electrical test area of the warehouse in a safe and organised way
- Cleaning the items you test if you get time
Preferred skills and attributes:
(Full training will be given for all roles from our experienced function tester volunteer Mike)
- Working in an organised manner
- Able to follow procedures and safe working practices
- Knowledge and understanding of electrical safety
As part of this role you will be required to complete the BHF Electrical Safety module
Ideally we need someone to train on a Monday or Tuesday with Mike, but when you are feeling confident it would be ideal if you could come in later in the week (Thursday/Fri) to test smaller donated electrical items such as toasters, sound systems, blenders, coffee makers etc.
Full training provided (please ask questions if unsure - we don't bite!) and regular volunteers get uniform and volunteer discount. We have a monthly quiz social for our volunteers, and there's plenty of hot drinks/ fruit/ snacks available.
Reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed, but only if you do more than four hours volunteering in a day.
We're a friendly bunch at the Furniture & Electrical shop - call Jack for an informal chat or pop in the store.